Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Journey to Steve Trek Continues:

As I mentioned previously I thought I would share my story on how Steve Trek Adventures began.
Was I a English scholar, voracious reader, or long time writer?  Absolutely NOT!  I think the only books I’ve read since school has been Harry Potter.  So being a big reader was not the driving force.  Writing and English were never my best subjects in school either.  So how does someone like me end up a published author?  
Well I guess it all started out innocently enough one weekend.  I was looking at some of my diving pictures and the  crazy stunts my friends and I pulled diving. Who in their right mind at 110ft deep removes their scuba gear and rams his dive buddy just playing around.   Well we did.  So this gave me the idea to develop the story that end up being Steve Trek Adventures.


So I began a journey writing the Steve Trek Adventures.  I wrote all weekend for hours and hours. Typing it all out on my Mac.  By the time Monday morning came around and work started back up I probably had 30-35% of the story down on paper.   I still had the vision of it in my mind but as it turned out I didn’t get back to writing the rest of the story until many months later.  After I finished the whole story, it was still rough, had misspellings, forgotten words and such, but on the premise of the whole story itself was complete.  To me I thought it was really good, so I shared it with my oldest son, my mom and a friend from work to have them read it.  Of course my son and mom thought it was great but their family they are supposed to say that, but Gina from work also thought it was really good.  Many thanks to her and my family for reading this rough story and seeing the good in it.  They encouraged me to publish it.  
So I researched publishers on the internet, and came across Tate Publishing LLC based in Mustang Oklahoma.  I read their site carefully, what they offered, as I did not want to be self published because success as a self published author is very limited.  I was looking to be “published”.   After reading their site, I found out that less than 3% of all submissions to them are accepted and offered a publishing contract.  Still I really believed what they offered was the best available and not to be deterred, I submitted my manuscript on-line and waited.  What’s the worst that could happen, a  no thank you.  
Three weeks later I came home from work to a UPS envelope on my porch.  Inside that envelope was the news all writers want to see, a letter of acceptance and contract to publish my work.  My very first book submission, accepted.  I remember sitting at the kitchen table, feeling very proud, chocking back a few tears of joy.  It was a tremendous feeling being one of the less that 3% accepted.   
Check back next week for the next post on the Journey to Steve Trek Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment